DepEd-ARMM honors outstanding teachers
Cotabato City (October 7, 2016) – The Department of Education of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (DepEd-ARMM) honored 10 outstanding Bangsamoro teachers on Wednesday, October 5, in celebration of the 2016 World Teachers’ Day.
Dr. John Magno, DepEd-ARMM secretary, said the awards serve as recognition for the invaluable services of teachers in the learning and development processes of students in the region and to the Education department itself.
Citing a story of a master teacher in the region qualified for promotion as school principal, or district supervisor, but chose to remain a classroom teacher, Dr. Magno noted he has high regards to the “unsung heroes” of the nation in reference to the teachers.
“Malaki ang respeto ko sa mga gurong ang iniisip ay ang kinabukasan ng kabataan at hindi ang kanilang pansariling interes,” Dr. Magno said.
Jaime Mendoza, Jr. of Parang National High School in Parang, Maguindanao was one of the awardees. He served as a classroom teacher for many years and is now the English department head in his school.
Mendoza said he is proud to be among the 10 outstanding teachers in the region. “I am much honored being named as an outstanding teacher of ARMM,” he said. As of 2016, there are 29,992 public elementary, junior high school and senior high school teachers across the region.
The ARMM is composed of nine schools divisions namely, Maguindanao I and II, MarawiCity, Lanao Sur I and II, Lamitan City, Basilan, Sulu, and Tawi-Tawi. Each schools division nominated three teachers for the award.
A total of 25 teacher qualifiers underwent screenings that include panel interviews, written examinations, teaching demonstration and a review of qualifiers’ pertinent documents.
The five winners in the elementary school category are:
• Fridanovie Rabor of Datu SaililahElementary School, Maguindanao I Division;
• Gideon Dable of Limpongo Elementary School, Maguindanao I Division;
• Susan Berganio of Nuro CentralElementary School, Maguindanao II Division;
• Maria Helena Barlovento of MalusoCentral Elementary School, Basilan Division; and
• Romel Plando of Hji. Yunos JumdainElementary School, Tawi-Tawi Division.
Aside from Mendoza, the four other winners in the secondary school category are:
• Asnawi Rakiin of Datu Mamintal AdiongNational High School, Lanao Sur I Division;
• Primo Sanosa, Jr. of Malabang NationalHigh School, Lanao Sur II Division;
• Melba Abdulla of Maluso National High School, Basilan Division; and
• Grace Ann Pangambayan of Sulu NationalHigh School, Sulu Division.
The winners were conferred with plaques and cash prizes. The regional celebration has the theme “Guro Kabalikat sa Pagbabago.” (Bureau of Public Information)